Sunday, January 25, 2009

Toe-Up Socks!

This is definitely a practice pair of socks! It's been a looong time since I knit a pair of socks, so I'm basically starting from scratch again and learning SO much along the way. After a couple tries with a couple different methods, I ended up using the magic cast-on method and cast on 10 stitches per needle (20 total) on US size 2 dpns.

I worked increases every other row (kfb) to 56 st, then began working the foot of my sock.

For a better fit, I worked increases in the foot to 64 st and the length within 2" of my heel, then began my short row heel.

I worked my short row heel in this method (10 st each side).

After a few rows of stockinette, I began a 2x2 rib for the cuff and bound off just a hair past 4". I would have made them a bit longer but I was getting nervous that I wouldn't have enough yarn for the entire second sock from this skein and I was approaching the point in the pattern repeat of the yarn where I'd be starting the second sock so I just bound off. That's what I get for having big feet, I suppose. heh I'm ordering a small scale so I won't have to eyeball it after this. One sock down... one to go! =)

Changes for next pair: cast on more for a wider toe and decrease less for a wider heel

And no worries, I won't be subjecting you to a ridiculous number of sock photos after this. Just so excited to be knitting my second pair of socks after so many years. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment