Ah, yes. My new favorite hobby has surfaced once again. After getting my errands run on Friday, I had Saturday to do as I pleased (thanks to rain taking yard work off the table). So, I pulled out some wool and my packets of Kool-Aid and got to work!
I started with some variegated wool that I'd picked up on clearance a few years back. I used some for a pair of slippers that were a gift, but still had about 3.5 skeins and no interest in making anything with that colorway. So I decided to over-dye it! Ugly can be fixed. I had three partial skeins and started with those, using a packet of mixed berry KA for each. The result? Perfect!
The original is on the right and the new, muted skeins on the left.
I'm thinking those two full skeins might be taking a blue bath soon too!
Then, I used more mixed berry, lemon-lime, pink lemonade and black cherry/grape for an off-white skein.
This one, I'm not so sure about. We'll see once it's been knit up if it'll need another date with some Kool-Aid or not.
I'm not so sure about that lighter, pinkish segment.
After finishing those, I was still inspired to try another technique I'd seen - dyeing yarn while wound in a cake. First, a bath in lemon-lime:
I then flipped it and gave it a bath in mixed berry.
Poking around in the cake, I realized I apparently wound my cake a bit too tightly and the color didn't make it to the center of the cake so I mixed up some more of both colors and used my baster to inject color into the center, nuking, checking and squirting in more where needed.
After winding this back into a skein, I could really see the results:
Oh, so pleased with this! I'm not entirely sure it's worth the extra effort to dye in the cake though. I think I could get very similar results from hand painting and could avoid having to re-skein a wet cake of yarn.
My efforts yesterday did produce a colorful living room while things dried:
I'm already thinking what else is in my stash that I want to over-dye. =)