How the heck is it 2011 already?!
Looking back over the past year, it hasn't gone quite as I planned.
- I did pretty well on the "knit only what I want to knit" plan and again will make this a priority. I think I finally got over my issues with frogging (and admitting a project needed to be frogged) and either finished WIPs or frogged those that needed to be. I now have ONE project going. Not saying I'll always stick to one project at a time, but I'll definitely be keeping a better handle on them and not letting WIPs hibernate forever anymore. Finish it or frog it! =)
- I also wanted to learn to crochet. I finished almost 2 dozen crochet items last year! I was shocked when I looked at my projects and realized it was that many, esp since it's felt like I haven't been crafty much at all in ages. Sure, most were small projects, but still. I have another one nearly finished. Just need to crochet another arm, two legs and a tail.
- The stash, well, we won't talk about that one other than to say I have a serious yarn addiction... one that I really need to break. I guess I could be addicted to worse things.
- My big exercise plan didn't come to fruition either. *sigh* Yeah, that's something else I need to work on. I've spent way more than my fair share of time on my bum in front of the computer, esp the past couple months. I purchased a couple new exercise DVDs and will try to motivate myself to start doing those! I did, however, go vegan this year! I've been vegetarian since I was around 12 and have been eating mostly vegan for years, but still caved to diary (mostly cheese) and rarely eggs. No more! I finally made the leap around October of this past year. I always read labels now and several of my old favorites are no longer making it into my grocery cart. I'm not eating as healthy as I'd like to say, but knowing I'm not supporting industries I don't agree with does make me feel more at peace (even if I am still eating too much processed junk and sugar).
- Moving. Didn't happen this year due to an unforeseen lack of funds from too much down time from work. I did buy a small box trailer to move my stuff west... and am planning the trip for this Spring! Boxes are starting to be packed... just waiting on things to thaw out. =)
So what's new for 2011 (other than a new address)?
- I'm working out plans for another career change. Medical coding pays the bills, but I don't love it. I want to love what I do (or at least like it most of the time) with that many hours of my life... even if it may not pay as well (at least for awhile).
- I'm also applying my newly vegan ways to areas other than food in my life. Yep, that means no more animal fibers for the stash (or clothing). I decided that I'm okay with using what I have, but I won't be purchasing any new alpaca, wool, cashmere, etc for the stash. That should slow any stashing. lol Acrylics have gotten much better over the years, but I prefer natural fibers. That leaves linen, bamboo, cotton, hemp, soy, etc. Still plenty to choose from, but not as easy to come by around here (other than cotton, which I have plenty of). I need to do some research though as I've heard the processing of some of those fibers is quite harsh on the environment. Bamboo, I've heard, is really bad. I need to read up before I make any decisions. I've decided I want to make monthly goals this year. So, for the next month, I won't buy any yarn. None.
- I want to focus more on cooking with whole foods this year and skipping the overly-processed convenience foods I've been relying on too much lately. I feel so much better when I cook real food. It really doesn't take that much time to make things from scratch and I know exactly what's gone in there (not to mention that it usually tastes better too!). I've already been choosing organic whenever possible. I'll be so happy once I'm near a farmer's market with organic produce available! There's a very small market here in the summer, but I rarely find anything organic there.
- I think I need a new craft as well. I'd love to learn to weave this year! I also want to improve on my new crochet skills. =)
The trend seems to be leading me toward a simpler, cleaner way of life. I've been heading in this direction for a long time, but it's time to make changes for good. =)