Wednesday, March 16, 2011

If it ain't broke...

fix it anyway.

I've been knitting for a long time and have always knit English-style. I've been wanting to make the switch to continental-style to speed up but wanted to wait until I finished my sweater so I wouldn't mess with my gauge. =) Sweater's done and I can mess all I want now!

So, I headed off to YouTube to see how to go from thrower to picker and chose a small project in garter stitch to practice.

I felt at first like I'd never knit before! But I got the hang of it fairly quickly and have been playing with a couple different ways to hold the yarn, trying to decide which I like best.

I also worked up a couple kitty snakes in crochet.

One in a variegated acrylic and one in bulky white wool, crocheting in pony beads for the eyes.

Then I used a couple packets of Kool-Aid to overdye the white.

I'm pretty happy with the results! Though the acidity of the Kool-Aid reacted with the t-pins I used to hang the snake up to dry, leaving teensy rust spots even though I'd rinsed him well then washed him in Eucalan first. Thankfully, the kitties don't mind. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment