Sunday, August 02, 2009

Welcome to New York!

Yep, made it to upstate New York last weekend! Checked into my new home for the next couple months. Don't you just love my new view???


It's okay, you can admit it... I know you're jealous!
I'm staying in Albany, but so far have been all over the surrounding area, mostly (literally) in the middle of cornfields...


heh I jest, but really, the countryside is beautiful! And what a change from the Arizona desert!


There are fruit/vegetable stands everywhere - absolutely loving the access to fresh produce!!


Freshly picked nectarines and gooseberries! Yum! I don't think I've had gooseberries since I was a kid!

In addition to my lovely view, I've spent the week getting the hotel staff to fix nearly everything in my room, making me wonder if this hotel actually ever does maintainance unless it's demanded by a guest. I'd ask for a new room, but I get the feeling I'd just be starting over with new problems, so I'm staying put. I've had a few issues in rooms before, but seriously have never had this many in one place! So far, I've discovered I had no hot water in my bathroom sink... none. Turn it all the way to hot and the flow of water completely stopped. Their solution resulted in my sink now dripping rapidly when the faucet is off. Apparently their prior solution to the dripping was to turn the hot water off. heh I was also missing the information folder, two of the drip pans for my stove (making two of the burners unusable) and the phone cord for the desk phone. Who takes the phone cord?! When I called down to the front desk and mentioned this along with other issues, the girl pauses and asks, "um, how are you calling me?" HAHAHA There are two phones in the rooms! Also, my ice trays are crusted with calcium deposits and the door on my dishwasher soap dispenser wouldn't close - hmm, all the soap in the prewash cycle? The ironing board had basically no padding and a large stain on the cover. I think that's been it so far... I'm hoping that's it. I used the oven and though the pans have blackened crustiness that won't come off (I bought foil to cover), the oven at least works. Going to try out the laundry room today... Wish me luck!

The weather has been a total 180 from Arizona! No more dry heat! This week has been rain, rain, and more rain!


Wednesday saw torrential rainstorms in the afternoon and overnight. More pouring rain on Friday. I have to say, I enjoy the rain... but this has caused some major damage and forced too many people out of their homes due to flooding of rivers, creeks and streams. The flooding even shut down some trains into NYC! Hoping for a few more dry days so people can really start cleaning up...

No comments:

Post a Comment